BMW E61 Subwoofer install

Recently I had some time to install another active subwoofer, this time in an old BMW E61 wagon. I bought the only one in the store that was available without wait and had an amplifier built in, cuz honestly, I’m lazy and installing extra amp seems like too much effort for such an old car (2008 make).

Sub model isn’t important, could be any active sub on the market. Not an advertisement, but sound is fairly decent, it took a bit of tuning (knobs are at it’s back) and now when the bass kicks in I feel it with the pressure with my back through the seat 🙂

The install was fairly simple, mostly similar to my Mazda6 subwoofer installation, so I won’t repeat myself. The only real difference is that the battery in this car is in the trunk so it made whole process a lot easier.

Really hard part for me was removing trim panels in the trunk, the clips are located in places that are difficult to access, plus there were even screws somewhere. I had no experience with BMW before so I need to say – dismantling similar stuff in Mazda is a lot easier. Here, to run a few cables I had to literally dismantle half of the car’s back interior.

In the picture above you can see what I mean – I piled up the panels that I removed in the trunk, plus if you look at the front seats, there’s another pile on panels, also from the back.

Anyway, running the wires was easy after that. For the sound I tapped into rear speakers again, wire colors were different from anything found in the internet, cuz most people write about E60 sedans, while in my case it’s E61 wagon. To find the correct wires on both sides I removed the rear speakers in the roof to see their wiring colors (different on different sides!!!)

And then used this info to tap into them on both sides at these locations (marked with red circles):

It was easier there, cuz in other places there are just too many wires to look through and not enough space to work with them.

For audio I used special cables that I bought separately and for power a thick 19mm copper cable from another Kicx kit along with their fuse.

To make it switch on with the car I plugged the remote wire of the sub into the fuse number 83, if memory serves, maybe number 84, better check the fuse scheme.

End result:

I didn’t hide the wires yet, because I’m going to move it around the trunk. It was a fast install done in one day after I realised how stock audio lacks any decent bass. It does have it’s own sub located under the front seat, but it sucks. With this one, combined with the fact that it’s a wagon, provides real sound pressure that I can feel. I’m very happy with the bass in this car now.